Sunday 3 February 2013

So glad I didn't stay at home

I love it when I haven't got time to go out and fish. That usually means I get out anyway some how or other. Today I was at the rugby in the afternoon and had to nip to the supermarket before that, but the supermarkets are lazy on a Sunday and don't always open until nearly midday so as I finished off my morning cup of tea, I just made a spur of the moment decision and went for it. I knew a spot on my way which I could give a go and it's promised a decent fish for some time. The river was running off nice and the colour was dropping out of it too which gave me confidence as often the fish are on the feed now.

I chucked around and had two fish hit my lures but neither stuck which was a shame. I then switched lures and put on the 40cm Real eel and not too long after fish on. It turned out to be a jack of around 8lb and as I took a quick photo I then realised it had some line hanging out of its mouth. I've never had to deal with a deep hooked fish before and when I looked inside the trace was well down. Though when I say trace, that is the wrong description to be honest as it wasn't long enough at all. It looked like a six inch shop bought lure trace with a single treble hook on the clip! I pulled on the trace hoping the stomach would open up and I could get to work but nothing budged. The hooks were holding the stomach closed and this fish would surely die if it went back like this. It took me nearly an hour to get the hook out. I needed an extra hand, one to hold the mouth open, one to pull the hook towards me out of the flesh and then one to cut the treble. I had to keep putting the fish back for some oxygen and for me to get a breather too. I was determined this fish would live and I kept at it until eventually I manipulated the last bit of hook in to position and cut it free. I then had to sit with the fish for what seemed like forever, but this fish was going back alive. Finally with more and more signs of life the fish gave enough back to give me enough encouragement to let it go. I was very happy and so glad I'd decided to get out today. Had I sat chilling at home that jack would have died sometime soon.

With very little time left I considered going to the supermarket. I knew I had to go but I can never resist one last cast. I lobbed the eel back out and as it got to around fifteen feet from the bank it went solid. I put some bend in the rod and made my way to a point where I could unhook the fish in the water. As I got there the fish came up and I was scrambling back up the bank for my landing net. This fish is huge! I kept the fishes head up and tried my best to stop it getting back to the depths and then got in position with the net. It turned one more time and gave a surge but I turned it again before it got too much chance and then I quickly shoved the net under and up and the fish was mine.

I was gob smacked. The fish was something else and I couldn't believe how fat it was. I weighed her, got a few quick photos and then put her back, checking she too hadn't got a trace down her throat first. Here she is, a 25lb river pike on a lure!

14 comments:

  1. Well done again Paul!

    Got to be worth subitting in savagear competition again for some more goodies? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Thought crossed my mind but to be honest I'm happy with winning it once and would hope others get to win too. It's a winner though isn't it! lol

      Delete
  2. What a cracking fish ! Well done Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An incredible fish Paul! Over the moon for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning fish mate, well done! Great picture too. Thanks for the advice, I will be back at it as soon as I can. tight lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. keep at 'em John. A bit of luck is all that's needed sometimes.

      Delete
  5. thts a minter there mate! YF fish of the year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Binner. That's a big claim mate! I'd settle for my fish of the year mate. It's nice to win things but It's even better to just enjoy your fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An awesome fish Paul, river pike that size are rare beasts indeed! A just reward for rescuing that other fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leo. You're right mate, they are something else. A special creature.

      Delete
  8. Brilliant fish paul, a real croc. I'll be happy with one half that from my river. Not long left to go now on the rivers. So Keep em coming mate !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee. I'll be lucky mate, it's raining here again! and bad too. Though if I have to settle for this one I can't complain.

      Delete